Gradebook In-Depth: Drop Lowest
A professor recently asked how to drop the lowest score out of a series of quizzes. The process is quite easy and we can accomplish this in the Gradebook tool.
- Go to the course.
- Click Gradebook in the left menu.
- Click Gradebook Setup in the gray toolbar.
- Under "Categories & Weighting," select either "Categories Only" or "Categories & Weighting."
- Enter the desired categories for your grades. To add more categories, click "Add a Category." In the example below, we've added five categories and numbered them so they display in a specific order.
- Select "Enable Drop Lowest."
- In the "Drop Lowest" column, enter the number of items you wish to drop automatically from the calculation (e.g. 1).
- Click Save Changes.
NOTE: Each Gradebook item in the category must have the same points possible. For example, the professor has 10 quizzes and they are all worth a maximum of 10 points each.